STAR (Student Academic Requirements) is a degree audit system that produces individualized reports that reflect a student's academic progress toward a specified degree. The report compares a student's course work, both NMSU and transfer work, with the requirements of an academic degree program and produces a report/audit, which details the student's progress toward meeting those requirements.
Degree Audit is a tool to assist in the advising process. It is meant to help students and advisors in the process of course selection and academic program planning. It reduces the mechanical record-keeping tasks and provides advisors and students more time to interact and concentrating on academic and career counseling. STAR does not replace advising; it just helps make it an easier and more meaningful interaction. For questions concerning degree requirements, make an appointment with an advisor in your Academic Unit.
How Do I Get a STAR Report?
You can view and print your own STAR report using the degree audit link on the "MyNMSU" student tab or click on the links below. If you need help in generating or interpreting the report, click on the help link located in the center bottom of the STAR logon page. You may generate an audit using your course work for any degree program using the available options listed in the drop down menu from Degree Program. Please visit with an advisor in the appropriate Academic Unit to review an audit.
- Provides real-time running of degree to see what requirements pre-registration classes will satisfy.
- Allows advisers to spend less time reviewing and sorting past course work.
- Incorporates transfer work into the audit.
- Improves consistency in checklists in advising appointments and graduation clearance
- Allows authorized personnel to enter student specific academic exceptions, which can then be view on an audit.
How Can STAR Help You?
- STAR takes the "guesswork" out of selecting courses for future enrollment.
- STAR audits show what requirements are completed and what courses still need to be taken.
- STAR shows where transfer work is apply toward your degree requirements.
- STAR uses the on-line student record for information, therefore reports can be run at anytime for up-to-date information.
- STAR suggests courses from which to choose.
- STAR calculates the GPA for various areas such as the major or degree hours.