Did you know that relaxation is a skill that you can improve? With practice, you can train your mind and body to respond to even stressful situations more calmly. The Relaxation Room offers a range of services to help you practice relaxation and feel more refreshed!
- Shiatsu massage chair
- emWave Personal Stress Reliever
- Resperate for blood pressure reduction
- Relaxing sound machine
- “Calm Down!” self-help program for managing anxiety
To Lower Blood Pressure
Personal Stress Reliever
The Relaxation Room is staffed by WAVE Peer Educators. They can inform you on how to use the equipment and answer any questions you may have.
Biofeedback uses your mind to control your body. Biofeedback is a type of complementary and alternative medicine called mind-body therapy. Using feedback from a variety of monitoring procedures and equipment, you may be able to learn how to control certain involuntary body responses, such as:
- Brain activity
- Blood pressure
- Muscle tension
- Heart rate
Once you learn to recognize and control these responses, you can use biofeedback to help treat a wide range of mental and physical health problems. Biofeedback may help your overall health and sense of well-being.
1. Heart Focus: You can start with any part of your body. Focus your attention on your left big toe and wiggle it. Do this with other parts of your body. Now, gently focus on the area in the center of your chest, the area of your heart.
2. Heart Breathing: As you are focusing on the area of your heart, pretend that you are breathing through your heart. Pretend that your breath is flowing in and out through that area. Breathe slowly and gently- in through your heart to a count of 4-5 and slowly and easily out through your heart to a count of 4-5. Do this until your breathing feels smooth and balanced, not forced.
3. Heart Feeling: Continue to breathe through the area of your heart and find a positive feeling, like appreciation, care or compassion. This could be an appreciation or care you have toward a special person, pet, or place you enjoy. Once you’ve found a positive feeling or attitude, you can sustain it by continuing your heart focus, heart breathing, and heart feeling.
3:00 - 7:00pm
Monday - Thursday
Hours are subject to change.