Student Help and Complaint Process

NMSU is a Caring Community

New Mexico State University (NMSU) is a comprehensive research, land-grant university excelling in teaching, research and public service that fuels the economy and prepares students to be productive citizens. NMSU is truly a reflection of the region’s vibrant communities – an exciting place to tackle challenges, find answers to important issues and prepare for the future.

NMSU is a caring community that transforms lives through discovery.

Getting the help you need and letting us know how we can help

The purpose of this page is to help students locate NMSU resources that can assist them in finding the resources needed to obtain assistance and guidance in resolving problems that students may encounter. Below you will find a list of resources that can be used to seek assistance with problems, issues, or concerns that you may be experiencing.

The Office of the Dean of Students provides an online form that you can use to submit your concerns in order to assist you in finding the help that you need, or if you simply want to go on record letting the University’s administration know about problems you have encountered.

Submit your concerns online ▸

Safety Concerns

Your safety is important to the university.  The following departments and offices have been established to assist you:

For any emergency situation where you or someone else need help, call 9-1-1 immediately. The emergency services dispatcher will send the appropriate assistance.

Environmental Health and Safety
Handles inspection of chemical and biological laboratories, concerns about general safety at NMSU, and investigations into worker injuries.
Nonemergency number:  646-3327

Fire and Emergency Services Department
Handles responses to fire, emergency medical, and hazardous materials incidents.
Nonemergency number:  646-2519

Police Department
Handles crime prevention, routine police patrols, investigations, and emergency response for criminal incidents, traffic crashes, weather emergencies, and emergency notifications.
Nonemergency number:  646-3311

Campus Health Center
Handles walk-in and appointments for a broad category of medical needs, to include immunizations, doctor's visits, X-ray, laboratory, and pharmacy services.
Nonemergency number:  646-1512

If you have a general concern related to a facility, such as a stair tread that is loose, a tree limb that is hanging down, or lighting that is out, please call the Facilities and Services Work Order Desk at 646-7114.

Academic Complaints

In accordance with the Student Handbook ( Student Academic Grievance Policy), complaints related to grading and other academic issues, such as unfair treatment (not related to unlawful discrimination or harassment), should be directed to the individual or department most directly involved in the situation. Any student (whether currently enrolled or not) who believes that they has been unjustly treated within the academic process may proceed as far as necessary in the steps detailed in the Undergraduate Catalog and Graduate Catalog.

The initial step is to appeal to the faculty member that is most directly involved in the matter. The student is to submit a written appeal to the faculty member within 30 days after the start of the semester following the semester in which the alleged grievance occurred. Semester in this case refers to fall and spring only. If the alleged grievance occurs during the summer session, the student is to submit an appeal no later than 30 days into the fall semester following the summer session in which the alleged grievance occurred. The faculty member and the student are to discuss the problem. The faculty member will submit a written report outlining their decision to the student and department head or appropriate unit designee within ten working days of receiving the student’s written appeal.

Should the alleged grievance not involve a faculty member or course, the student is to appeal directly to the department head or associate dean for academics in whose area or college the alleged grievance occurred.

Non-Academic Complaints

Concerns related to other aspects of your experience at NMSU, including disputes such as billing disputes, housing, or other concerns related to administrative departments or related to interactions with NMSU administrative staff, should be directed to the supervisor of the department involved with the concern. Here is a brief listing of some departments that frequently provide services to students:

Campus Health Center
Phone: 646-1512

Housing & Campus Life
Phone: 646-3202
Fax: 575 646-7811

University Accounts Receivable
Phone: 646-4911

University Admissions
Phone: 646-3121 or 800-662-6678
Fax: 575-646-6330

University Financial Aid and Scholarship Services
Phone: 575-646-4105 or 877-278-8586

If you have concerns about administrative staff (as either a student or student employee) and you don't know who to contact, please contact the Human Resource Services Employee and Labor Relations department for additional assistance.

Employee and Labor Relations
Hadley Hall, Room 14
Phone: 575-646-2449

In addition concerns related to administrative offices, if you have any concerns related to fellow students and violations of the student code of conduct, please refer to the Student Non-Academic Grievance Policy in the Student Handbook or contact the Dean of Students.

Office of the Dean of Students
Corbett Center Student Union, Room 207
Phone: 575-646-1722
Visit the Dean of Students Website

Are you worried about someone?

Are you concerned that someone may be struggling and in need of assistance and resources or may harm themselves or others? Learn more about how you can report your concerns to the CARE Team.

Discrimination and Harassment

NMSU is dedicated to providing equal opportunities in areas of employment and academics without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, serious medical condition, sex, sexual orientation, spousal affiliation or protected veteran status as outlined in federal and state anti-discrimination statutes. As a federal contractor, NMSU’s affirmative action program also supports this effort. In accordance with NMSU Policy 3.25 Discrimination, Harassment and Sexual Misconduct on Campus, the Office of Institutional Equity (OIE) is designated as the office that receives and processes internal discrimination complaints within the NMSU system.

To file a discrimination compliant, complete the Internal Discrimination Complaint Form on the OIE Web site or contact OIE by phone or Email.

In addition, you may also contact the Office of Institutional equity to file a compliant regarding violations of Title IX, sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking, and other violations of NMSU Policy 3.25. Note that administrative investigations filed with OIE are different from criminal investigations conducted by the police.

Office of Institutional Equity
Office: 575-646-3635
Fax: 575-646-2182
TTY : 575-646-7802
Visit the Office of Institutional Equity Web Site

Confidential Reporting through EthicsPoint

Allegations of wrongdoing of any kind, including illegal or unethical conduct, violations of Title IX or violations of university policy, can be reported through the confidential reporting line at or 1-866-384-4277.